ACDelco Dex-Cool Antifreeze Extended Life Coolant Concentrate is an orange, silicate and phosphate free, premium-grade coolant/antifreeze that is formulated with a chemical composition that minimizes breakdown of metal components in contact with the fluid. Based on carboxylate technology, ACDelco Dex-Cool Antifreeze Extended Life Coolant Concentrate has the properties needed to optimize the efficiencies of the new hybrid vehicles. This product is acceptable for use in all vehicles that require Dex-Cool coolant and the undiluted formula means that the user can customize the concentrations of water to coolant/antifreeze for optimum performance in a range of environments.
- Specially formulated optimum service intervals, the coolant can last up to 5 years or 150,000 miles. (Maintenance needs vary with different uses and driving conditions. See your Owner's Manual for more information)
- Helps provide resistance to corrosion by protecting brass, cast iron, steel, solder, and copper components. Also provides superior high-temperature protection for aluminum components
- Non-silicate formula retains excellent heat transfer characteristics for optimum water pump life
- Long shelf life: storage-stable for 8 years
- The backwards compatible formula can be used with conventional cooling systems and may also be used for service of all 1994-95 GM vehicles EXCEPT 1994 Cavaliers/Sunfires with 4-cylinder engines. Must be replaced every 2 years/30,000 miles (whichever comes first) whenever used in a vehicle not originally designed to use Dex-Cool
Can coolant color be used to determine what product I can use?
No, coolant color can no longer be used to determine the correct product to add to your system because coolant suppliers no longer have common product color standards. Instead, determine what is the correct type or specification of the product you require and purchase the product with this correct specification.
Is there a specific type of antifreeze I should use in my vehicle?
Yes. See your owner’s manual or service guide for information regarding your vehicle’s fluid requirements.
Do I have to change my vehicle’s antifreeze?
Yes. Your owner’s manual or service guide will provide more information regarding vehicle-specific maintenance intervals. The maximum change interval for ACDelco Dex-Cool is 5 years, or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Is it okay to use ACDelco Traditional Coolant in my engine if it requires Dex-Cool?
No. Each vehicle is manufactured for use with a specific coolant formula. If your vehicle was not designed for use with traditional coolant/antifreeze, or coolant not recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer, it can potentially harm your cooling system.
Can you mix other coolants with Dex-Cool?
Technically, you can mix coolant types, but before you go ahead and do it, let’s cover some things. Firstly, Dex-Cool and traditional anti-freeze don’t mix well. Though they can work together in a pinch, after extended use, they can react and create a gel, which can be very damaging to multiple components of your cooling system.
For that reason, the best thing for your Chevy or GM vehicle is to stick with Dex-Cool. There are a few alternatives out there though. Currently, many coolant producers make solutions that aren’t Dex-Cool but are safe to mix with Dex-Cool. Make sure to read your manual and the label on the coolant that you would like to add thoroughly.